Thursday, March 19, 2009

Of the soft palate and the hard palate and the tip of the tongue etc. etc...

I thought I wouldn 't have to hear these linguistic terms of Phonetics and Phonology anymore...on how to articulate these letters and those letters and all. I thought when I had to deliberately practice moving the right and left jaw up and down to produce a certain sound etc. etc. in my Oracy class long, long time ago during my matriculation years, that was the end of it. No more after this. When we had to carefully practise touching the tip of the tongue to the soft palate and hard palate or putting the tip of the tongue between the plates of the top two incisors etc. etc. in Dr IH's class during uni years long time ago, I thought that was more than enough (pllleeaeseeee). The fact that he's indeed a very good and knowledgeable lecturer did little to help to reduce the migraine that I often had after his every lecture he he...especially the part when we had to give the linguistic description of how certain letters were articulated. Luckily, in the inroduction class of that thing with Mr J Fitzpatrick, I'd never had any magraine not only because I adored him so much but because the things studied were still less technical.

After so many years, never did I imagine I would have to study these linguistic terms again. But the fact is I am now learning it. Of course not the same subject but the same linguistic terms which I came across in the book Part 1 have already given me some kind of phobia (he he...). However, since I am now learning it for a good reason, a very, very good purpose, I am sure that The Almighty will be helping me all the way through the process as long as I have the sincere will to continue learning. Not only for my life at present but also for the life after this. It's not merely a linguistic class, it's more than that....

Having missed the first sessions of book Part 1, I have no choice but to do extra work on my part. I guess I have to stop mumbling now as I need, I repeat, I need to study book Part 1 as well as Part 2 for tomorrow's class (hmm like good hi hi...). So that, I don't have to unnecessarily get the jitters when I have to sit beside the teacher and read. (Now I know exactly how my students felt having to sit near me and read or present their part for the oral test). If that sweet soft-spoken teacher reads what I'm writing (which I don't think so...???), she must be smiling knowing how I feel he he...


No comments: